Model Kits Construction Reviews, Tips, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Academy, Accurate Miniatures, Fujimi, Aircraft and Cars

Monday, January 7, 2008

1/48 Rex (The Flying kind)

1/48 Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu "Rex" (Tamiya)

My First build for 2008 is the Tamiya's very good Rex kit. I actually started this kit almost a year ago. This is the 1st kit wherein I planned to have all the decals (well, atleast 99%) replaced with paint through masking. I used tamiya tape and sealed the edges with future on almost all of the masking.

This is the kit ~9months before:





This is what it looks like today, after I sprayed a coat of JN Green and re-sprayed JN Gray on the undersides and floats. The masks came out great except for the tail markings :(



I'm currently fixing the tail markings. I'm doing it very slowing so as not to damage the paint.

To be continued...

We'll I've finally "fixed" the tail marking. I think it will look good after some weathering and "concealment".


Tried fitting the plane to its float. It looks good. hehehe.

Now on to the weathering. And painting the other bits and pieces ie the canopy, antenna, ladder and finishing the cart. :)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger templar said...

one question, what instrument did you use in cutting and creating the circular mask for the hinomarus, seems like it was pretty tough since you must cut in a consistent circular pattern.

January 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Estabilizador e Nobreak, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://estabilizador-e-nobreak.blogspot.com. A hug.

April 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM

 
Blogger pinoy yuppy husband said...

templar,
I used a circle template and my scissors. I picked the closest sized circle from the template, transferred it to my tamiya tape and cut it using my scissors. Since my tamiya tape is not big enough,i used 2 or 3 pcs taped side by side on a clear plastic sheet (the one we used to cover our books with). So when it's time to remove the tape after cutting, the adhesive surface will still be ok.

September 3, 2008 at 8:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home