Model Kits Construction Reviews, Tips, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Academy, Accurate Miniatures, Fujimi, Aircraft and Cars

Monday, December 24, 2007

Tip # 2: DIY Vacuum Chamber

Tip # 2: DIY Vacuum Chamber for Resin Casting

I had this idea when i re-tried resin casting. During my 1st try ~2yrs ago, one of the main problems i had was bubbles in my mold and cast. after reading some of the forums and resin casting sites, i learned that some resin casters use a vacuum chamber to enable them to eliminate almost all of the bubbles during the mold making and resin casting process. This vacuum chamber consists of a sealed chamber and a vacuum source. Please see my set-up, i think it's self explanatory.

I'll make improvements on the chamber and use the more expensive "biokips" or "lock n lock" brand that has build-in seals. I know bullet would know what i'm talking about... hehehe

Just cut hole, i suggest finding a rigid side, big/small enough for a tight fit for the hose of the vacuum, then vacuum away! When I used my set-up, the part where i place the vacuum hose deformed, nearly crushing my mold. This is because i used a cheapo plastic food keeper i found lying somewhere in the kitchen... hehehehe...

I tested this already and it worked. I re-casted an 1/48 P-51D engine [no it's not for re-sale], no bubbles and the casting worked out great! :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home